Good habits are essential to our wellness. If we want to be happier, healthier, or less stressed we just need to master the ability to change our habits. And while changing habits may sound daunting, once you break it down into small, manageable steps it’s really much simpler than it sounds.
Here are 5 ways that you can begin today:
1. Sleep Matters For Energy: No matter how hard we want to make changes, if we don’t have sufficient sleep our well-being and performance suffers. When we’re rested and full of energy, our ability to do what’s necessary to accomplish a goal will be much easier. Why not try Reiki , yoga or meditation to promote better sleep and keep your energy levels up.
2. Start Small: The saying holds true, “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” Make small, incremental goals and you will have a higher likelihood of success. Once you adapt to this tiny change and it becomes part of your new normal, you have a success to celebrate and momentum builds. So instead of saying “I’m going to exercise for an hour a day,” you might want to start with 15 minutes three times a week. Choose an exercise routine you enjoy so you can stick with it.
3. Have A Support System: The social support and positive encouragement we receive from others is a great way to get that encouragement as you’re building a new habit. Everyone needs someone in their court to cheer them on and hold them accountable. Friends, family and your Health and Wellness Coach are all avenues of support.
4. Pick One Goal: We often have a long list of things we’d like to change, but it’s better to pick just one thing at time to focus on. Too much overwhelm, and you’re more apt to give up. Once you’ve mastered that change, pick another and keep moving forward.
5. Keep A Healthy Mindset: Don’t let your past determine your future. Visualize the best possible future for yourself, including the way you’ll be once you’ve achieved a goal. This is a powerful mood booster!
So what will your first simple, small new habit be? I’d love to hear about your journey!
Coaching for Healthy Living – helping to transform people’s lives by focusing on the whole person for health, wellbeing and weight loss. Visit Coach4HealthyLiving.com to get your free eBook, “The Diet AlteRNative,” and learn why diets don’t work.
Janine Gilarde, RN has over 10 years of experience in holistic and traditional approaches to health and wellness. She is a Licensed Registered Nurse, Certified Health and Wellness Coach and a Certified Reiki Master Teacher trained in Buddho- Enersense, a complete system of healing. She is committed to helping others using a holistic approach for weight loss, stress reduction and overall well-being.