I really enjoy eating salads during the summer months – and what better way to make use of a great superfood – Kale.
If you have never tried kale in a salad, I think you will really enjoy this salad!
There are a few varieties of Kale available. In this recipe I opted for purple kale. Since these greens can be a bit tough, it’s always a good idea to massage your kale.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MASSAGED KALE
- De-stem the kale leaves so that you end up with 2 -3 cups of raw kale leaves. In a large bowl, combine the de-stemmed kale leaves with
- 1 tsp. of olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. of Celtic sea salt
- You can also pour an additional 1/2 tsp. of olive oil onto your hands to coat.
- Using a massaging action (similar to kneading bread dough), start to tear the leaves apart and massage.
- Continue massaging for about 5 minutes, or until the leaves are softened.
Now you’re ready to add on the additional ingredients over the top of the kale:
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 3 tbsp roasted and unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Goji berries
- 1/4 cup fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
Prepare dressing: In a blender, combine all dressing ingredients and 3 tbsp water and blend on high until smooth, about 1 minute. Drizzle over salad.
I hope you find this delicious and helpful to incorporate into your busy work week!
To your health,